How Walmart built online revenue in China

PREMIUM CONTENT. To continue reading please login, or click on SUBSCRIBE above, or purchase access to this report for 1 month.


January 18, 2016

The US retail chain Walmart Stores, Inc the world’s largest company by revenue, has maneouvred into the driver’s seat of China’s burgeoning e-commerce market.
Walmart now owns one of China’s three largest e-commerce portals, (, which enjoys annual double-digit growth, and in 2014, turned over US$1.9 billion.  
Walmart first invested in in 2011 after it decided to abandon its own plan to run a website in China.  The US retail giant lifted its stake in to 51 per cent in 2012, and in July this year acquired the remaining 49 per cent from Ping An Insurance and the founders of the website — former Chairman, Yu Gang, and former CEO, Liu Junling.